Thursday, September 12, 2013

USB JIG(make u'r own)

Need a Solution for your Hard Bricked Android Devices.(Usb Jig Build your Own)

The USB jig for Samsung devices can be immensely useful. When used properly, they force a Samsung device into download mode so you can flash firmware over Odin and restore it to working order. It is especially useful when you’ve broken pretty much everything and need a fresh start. Additionally, it completely resets your flash counter. There is an application that can do this called TriangeAway by XDA Elite Recognized Developer Chainfire, but it’s always good to have additional options.

If you find yourself wanting to enter download mode easily, you can build your own USB jigs. While making your own is nothing new, there is now a thread posted with a step-by-step photo guide to creating your own jig. It isn’t overly difficult, but does require some soldering. So if you do attempt it, be sure to read all the instructions first to make sure you know what you need to do. You can find the thread here.

Of course, whether you buy one or make one, you should also know how to use one. XDA Senior Member mattcfk has released a very generalized FAQ to help you use the USB jig to do anything from removing the yellow triangle to restoring a bricked device. You can find the full FAQ and support thread here.

Of course, if all else fails, there may be a forum member in your area that’ll let you borrow their jig for a one-time use. XDA Senior Member saywhatt has compiled a list of users around the world who have a USB jig that would be willing to meet up and let you use it. Of course, as with any meeting with a stranger, be cautious. If you’re looking for someone in your area, you can find that thread here.

Whether you build it, buy it, or borrow it, these USB jigs can mean the difference between a paperweight that you have to return and a fully functioning phone. If you own a Samsung device and don’t have one, you should look into it. They’re definitely useful little tools.


Here’s how to make your own for $2!

You can order a micro USB cable for $1 on Amazon and pick up 300K resistors for about $1. (or you can use 3 100K resistors in series, which is what I did since Radio Shack didn’t have 300K resistors)

Step 1. Cut the micro USB connector off your micro USB cable.
Step 2. Start taking off the plastic on the side with heavy-duty scissors or knife until you get to the metal bones.
Just cut it all the way until you can access all FIVE pins.
Although every microUSB connector is different, mine had all the pin soldered except for pin 4 (which is shown by the arrow below), this is the pin that’s unused, so it was easy for me to identify. You need to connect a resistor in between this pin 4 and pin 5. Pin 5 is located to the right of pin 4.
Below is what the pins look like for microUSB:
Step 3. You will need resistors, I am using 100K Ohm resistors I bought at Radio Shack.
Step 4. Since the pins are so darn small, it’s going to be rather hard to solder the resistors right onto it. So I got 2 insulated wire pieces and solder them onto the pin 4 and pin 5.
Step 5. Below shows my wires soldered securely onto pin 4 and pin 5.
Step 6. Since I don’t have a 300K Ohm resistor, I am simply going to put three 100K Ohm resistors in series and solder them, this is actually pretty fun to do.
Step 7. Last step is simply soldering the resistor piece onto the wires and voila, USB Jig is done. It took me about 15 minutes at most and I haven’t soldered for around 3 years so not too bad so long as it works. You can make it nicer by putting some hot glue over it then putting it in a case but I like having bare circuits, I can always make new ones if I break it.
Step 8. Below shows my ODIN download count over 400+ on my Epic 4G Touch Galaxy S2. This is before using the USB Jig.
Step 9. I turn the phone off then insert my new USB Jig, hoping that I did it right the first time.
Step 10. After about 3 seconds, my Epic 4G Touch Galaxy S2 boots up by itself to download mode, my “custom binary download” count reset to zero and says “erasing download information succeeded”. Congrats!
Step 11. I reboot the phone and find the i9100 boot splash gone!
Next I used the jig on my AT&T Galaxy S2 and worked fine. This USB Jig works on all Samsung devices that support it.

By resetting your download mode count, you’ve truly erased any history that you’ve rooted your phone.

1 comment:

  1. How To Enter Download Mode On Samsung Galaxy Smartphones without any buttons => Samsung Download Mode USB Jig

    ReplyDelete